Save Point: August 2022

wine tasting, guide
Zelda, cat, table, jigsaw pieces

August has been a time of both ups and downs.

It was the month that COVID-19 finally got the Later Levels’ household. We’d been careful since the first lockdown here in the UK in March 2020, but our luck run out when both Pete and I succumbed to the virus. In a weird way though, testing positive was almost a relief after several years of waiting.

We were unable to go to work for a week because we felt so rough and spent most of that time either sleeping or watching video game playthroughs on YouTube. I tried to continue with Kentucky Route Zero but quickly put it down again when I just didn’t have the energy to concentrate on it. This explains why the figures in August’s progress report below are so much lower than those for July.

The virus meant we had to reschedule our tickets for a few events this month. We couldn’t go to Phantom Peak as we were booked for the day after we found out we were positive, and it would have been irresponsible to put others at risk. We also had to cancel our wine-tasting evening but are looking forward to doing it retrospectively – and in the meantime, I thought about pairing wine with video games.

Although we’re not yet back to 100%, we’re feeling better than we were a few weeks ago. The fatigue is still there so it’s difficult to maintain concentration and late afternoons at work can be a bit of a struggle. But we’re well enough to make it to Phantom Peak tomorrow and the EGX expo at the end of September, so things are starting to feel as though they’re getting back on track. We’ve also started the planning for GameBlast23 in February so stay tuned to see what we’ve got coming up for the next charity event.

Progress report

graph, bar chart, video games, hours played

graph, pie chart, hours spent on games

Views: 711
Visitors: 341
Likes: 122
Comments: 64

Game of the month

COVID has meant I haven’t played as much during August as I normally would so I’m therefore going to nominate a game I’ve watched for this section. After seeing Darkshoxx complete Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma recently, I became curious about the series and tracked down a playthrough of Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. It’s not something I’d play myself as it’s a bit too much like a visual novel for my taste, but I’m really getting into the intrigue and am looking forward to seeing where the story ends up.

Nine Persons, Nine Hours, Nine Doors, video game, screenshot, Jumpy, Junpei, Lotus

Event of the month

As mentioned above, we had to cancel a lot of our plans this month thanks to COVID. But we did manage to make it to the Great British Beer Festival at the beginning of August and spent a lovely day with Darkshoxx and Ashnas, drinking a wide variety of tipples and laughing at the puns on the menu like those opposite. It was also the eighth anniversary of Pete and I meeting; how on earth has he managed to put up with me for so long? To celebrate, I reminisced about some of the games we’ve played together during that time.

Great British Beer Festival, GBBF, cans, Yeastie Boys

After a week of feeling sorry for ourselves, we gradually started feeling better and decided to attempt the EXIT The Game puzzle I’d picked up at the UK Games Expo back in June. In The Deserted Lighthouse, you put together a jigsaw and solve the clues within the image to move on to the next scenario and progress the story. It wasn’t long before Zelda wanted to get involved and roll around on the board that we’d set up in the garden. It’s amazing we haven’t lost any pieces for our jigsaws yet.

The Deserted Lighthouse, EXIT The Puzzle, jigsaw, Zelda, cat

Plans for next month

September is going to be busy: we’ve got Phantom Peak lined up for tomorrow, followed by the Meatopia barbecue festival on Friday and then EGX at the end of the month. It’s so nice to be getting back to normal after feeling ill and being able to catch up on all the things we’ve missed. Saying that though, our experience with COVID has made us more cautious and we’ll be taking more precautions from now on – there’s no way I’d want to put my body through that stress again because it was horrible.

As explained during my apprenticeship update on Monday, the Hackathon is coming up soon and I’ve got the onboarding session for the Elevate programme next week too. I’ll let you know how those both went towards the end of September. There’ll also be something about my history with the charity SpecialEffect and their GameBlast event to give us some inspiration for the next marathon stream coming up in February. Something tells me I’m not going to be able to persuade Pete to do it in his Pikachu costume again though…

GameBlast, GameBlast21, stream, Twitch, Kim, Pete, Pikachu, costume

In terms of gaming, we still need to finish Inscryption. The first two acts have been enjoyable but it’s quite brain-intensive and so not the sort of thing we’ve been in the mood for during August. We’ve also got the last third of Stray to complete and I need to continue with Kentucky Route Zero too. On top of that, there’s an As Dusk Falls playthrough with Ellen from Ace Asunder and friend-of-the-blog Phil which needs to be wrapped up. It’s been a lot of fun playing with them so far as they encourage me to make crazy decisions I normally wouldn’t.

Now over to you guys: what have you been up to lately, and what have you got planned for the coming month? Enjoy yourselves and take care out there.

About Author /

Spreadsheet lover, video gamer and SpecialEffect volunteer. Goes by the name 'kissingthepixel' online. Lifelong fan of wannabe pirates and fine leather jackets.

23 Comments

• Hundstrasse
    1 month ago Reply

Sorry to hear that you’re still not quite 100%, 😕… But sounds like you’re on the right track, and that you still managed to pack quite a bit into August!

• Kim
      1 month ago Reply

I’d be absolutely fine if I could stop coughing and feeling tired. Right now, I’m that annoying person on conference calls who’s always coughing in the background… 🤧

• Hundstrasse
        1 month ago Reply

Urgh, at least you can mute I guess. There’s so many people in the office who feel the need to apologise and explain that they’re fine everytime they cough.

• Kim
          1 month ago Reply

Although, it’s amazing at department-wide meetings when you don’t want to network and would prefer everyone to leave you alone! ha ha

• Hundstrasse
            1 month ago Reply

*makes a note to subtly have occasional coughing outbursts at next big meeting*

• thegamingdiaries
    1 month ago Reply

Sorry your still feeling rough! If it makes you feel any better my cough did hang around for a few weeks after testing negative following covid but it did disappear eventually.

I’m also so glad that onesie photo has been resurrected for this blog post. Pete did so well with it! I think he has earned not having to dress up this time round.

• Kim
      1 month ago Reply

Urgh the cough… I’m glad to hear it does go away eventually. I’m starting to feel like I’m never going to be able to have a conversation without coughing all the way through it.

You say that Pete has earned the right to not dress up, but you know what he’s like: he’ll just end up agreeing to something else on stream and then instantly regret it when the time comes to go through with it. We’ll see what trouble he gets himself into this time around. 😆

• thegamingdiaries
        1 month ago Reply

Yeah I thought the cough would never leave and it was so embarrassing at times having to be like I promise I did a test and I’m negative I just can’t shake the cough yet. But it does get better!

That’s true Pete will just randomly say something and end up promising to do it 😆 You never know what idea he will come out with between now and GameBlast!

• Kim
          1 month ago Reply

And that’s exactly what worries me… 😂

• Dryad
    1 month ago Reply

I feel like this next month will be really strange and chaotic. My work schedule is shifting to a ridiculously low amount of hours so I’ll probably be searching for a new job. Gamewise I’ve been so tired I haven’t done anything but replay games I’ve already played. ha

I am really looking forward to the marathon stream!!!

• Kim
      1 month ago Reply

I’m so sorry to hear this… I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed that either the hours increase, or your dream job comes along and there’s no looking back. <3

Sometimes when there's a lot going on, you need to take a mental break and getting nostalgia hits from old video games is a good way to do that. For me, it's usually point-and-clicks I've played hundreds of times already or fishing for hours in ESO. Look after yourself and remember that we're all here if you need people to chat to or a distraction!

• Fed
    1 month ago Reply

Peter-chu is a moment that will endure throughout the years 😆

• Kim
      1 month ago Reply

He hasn’t yet realised I included that screenshot in this post… he’s going to kill me when he finds out… 😆

• Mr. Wapojif
    1 month ago Reply

Kind of forgetting there’s a new Monkey Island out shortly, eh?! Summit to be ‘appy about.

• Kim
      1 month ago Reply

I’d totally forgotten about it while drafting this post. But I’ve done my best to all the articles and videos – I haven’t watched anything other than the initial reveal trailer – so I think that’s probably why. I just want to go into the game not knowing anything about it and experience for what it is, if you know what I mean?

And what it is, is: MURRAY.

• Mr. Wapojif
        1 month ago Reply

That’s what I’m doing! Seen the trailer. Know nothing else. That way it’ll be more fun. Will make sure my hamster Murray plays the game.

• Kim
          4 weeks ago Reply

The three of us will have to share our thoughts over a cheese tea once we’ve all finished it.

• Halsdoll
    1 month ago Reply

I can relate. Visual novel is usually not my thing but 999 is surprisingly good and the soundtrack is great, I do recommend it.

• Kim
      4 weeks ago Reply

I finished watching the 999 playthrough a few days ago and moved on to Virtue’s Last Reward. They’re definitely not games I’d play myself but they really work for me as movies. Looking forward to seeing if I can figure out who Zero is this time… 🤔

• Halsdoll
        4 weeks ago Reply

I think I recalled someone else said something similar to you. 🙂 Virtue’s

• Halsdoll
        4 weeks ago Reply

I think I accidently hit sent before I finished my thought! As I was saying, Virture’s Last Reward is just as good.

• Kim
          4 weeks ago Reply

I’m about five hours in and enjoying it so far! I obviously recognise Clover and Alice, but still trying to piece together who everyone else is. I think this one is going to take me longer to solve.